Thursday, February 28, 2008

Considering Masters in Nursing or Masters in Public Health


Considering Masters in Nursing or Masters in Public Health?
I can't believe I'm considering my next degree, I feel like I've been in school forever. I am a fairly new nurse, my interest is maternal child health, ob/gyn surgeries, babies, possibly NICU, L&D. I picture myself helping women and children, would love to work in a clinic setting also, really enjoy teenagers, std clinics, planned parenthood, WIC, that sort of thing. I had considered the CNM (Nurse Midwife) but lately was pondering just the Masters in Nursing (MSN) or even Masters in Public Health (MPH). Given what I've said about my interests, does anyone in the medical field have any recommendations for me? Not sure which way to go, or which degree goes the farthest.? Edited to add: Also have my Certified Lactation Educator (CLE) to augment my current job as a postpartum nurse and would like to be a Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) as well when I've gotten enough hours and taken the test, so that's definitely an interest as well. Also - not really interest in being one of the "chiefs" at the hospital. Enjoy working odd hours and three days a week, not thrilled about the traditional 9-5 job. Nursing instructor (esp clinicals in OB) is a possibility but I hear the pay isn't very good.
Higher Education (University +) - 5 Answers
 

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I have a BS in Biochem, an MBA and an MHA (Masters in Health Administration) and I have taken several public health courses. Given your interests, I would definitely go for the MSN over the MPH. An MPH deals more with health policy and research, and less with clinical aspects of healthcare. Hope that helps!
2 :
Become a lactation consultant to promote breastfeeding. My wife works for WIC as their Breastfeeding Coordinator and deals quite a bit with lots of women that need support in breastfeeding. Med and nursing schools don't discuss breastfeeding too much and unfortunately don't promote it as much as they should.
3 :
A masters in Nursing will only help you if you want to be a nursing instructor. There is no reason to get it other than that. I used to be an admissions counselor for the University of Phoenix's nursing program. You should get at least 3-5 years of work experience as an RN before you even consider your MSN. It will not help you at all until then. You could complete an online MSN while you work as an RN if you are able to do this much work. A masters in Public Health might allow you to work in hospital administation, but you will need 5-7 years of work experience before you will be able to get that job.
4 :
You might also look into schools with a dual degree MSN/MPH. It is a great combination and in some schools, such as Emory University, many of the courses you take in one program can count as electives in the other. This allows you to complete the joint degree in a shorter period of time. It's a versatile combination that will allow you much flexibility in the future. Good luck to you!
5 :
I like The Professor's answer. Getting a dual degree would be a pretty sweet deal. But if you *must* choose between the MSN and the MPH, well, I'm biased. I have a MPH, and I like it. Public health is not all about health care admin or policy. We have a lot of nurses where at my office who have MPH degrees and work as supervisors. On the health care end of it, the BSN, MPH folks do a lot of epidemiology and disease surveillance. At many hospitals, either a nurse practitioner or RN MPH works as the infection control practitioner. I don't know what more you can do with a MSN besides earn a little more pay or teach. But I know with a MPH, you can have access to a lot of other kinds of nursing work.




Read more discussions :